2018.02.26 Subform release 4449

releases

Hi friends,

A new release of Subform is available:

OS X: Subform-4449.0.0+1a76794.dmg

Windows: Subform Setup 4449.0.0+1a76794.exe

Based on your feedback, we’re putting together more videos/tutorials.
Expect to start seeing those in March.

We’re also working on a runtime, embeddable version of the layout engine (Github repo).
This should go a long way for those of you who want to do layout in Subform, then use it as part of an interactive prototype or production context.

Would love to hear from any developer-minded folks about what platforms you want this runtime to support, and what your ideal API surface would look like.

As for the Subform release itself:

Enhancements

• Holding alt when dragging now duplicates the element where it’s dropped, rather than moving.

Fixes

• Hug units are now rejected from the grid children layout control. Thanks @rrbarry11 for the report.

Thank you for the update and continued improvements to Subform. I am not a developer but would like to bring up an interesting concept that I read about which has to do with something called design tokens, and if I understand correctly, it’s a system that allows the conversion of UI data such as color, fonts, animations, etc… from UI design tools to any type of code. More details are available about this concept in This article. Maybe this approach might work well with Subform.

@Benzo that is a great idea! I love the concept of Design tokens. If we could generate these tokens from subform that could actually be a really nice workflow. :slight_smile:

Yes, and a few design tools are starting to adopt this concept and I think it would fit well in Subform’s approach to building UI systems. I’m curious to hear what @Ryan and @kevin think about it.