How do I draw elements?

I believe regular tools are not included intentionally. To feel the exact limitations of developers. It makes sense actually. It's going to be a tough change after a decade use of regular design tools.

:sweat:

Same here. I just spent the first 3 minutes looking at Subform thinking that my install was bad. I have to say, this is a very, very weird experience! Maybe the developers wanted to test some of the other layout stuff with us before even creating basic tools but... well... it's very strange.

I've opened this application and the forum so many times and just shut it wondering what I am supporting. I'm going to dig a little deeper and answer the question: Is this thing just not ready to be used? Am I completely missing something? What was it again that got me excited about this? Is it a graphic program for engineers? Is this real life?

If I'm completely missing the point, it's on me, but it shouldn't be such a mystery to figure out. Is this supposed to help me with my work or be a game/ puzzle to unlock?

Truly frustrated

Guys, basics should be (at least) familiar - its the innovations you can invent the workflow for. If I'm honest I'm not using Subform because its arrogant in assuming ill change my workflow because of it. Sketch felt familiar so I ditched Photoshop in a heartbeat for it.

I completely agree. I wholeheartedly understand that a pro tool can take time to learn and that its a valid time investment, but for the sake of familiarity I would appreciate not having to relearn concepts that don't benefit from its new interaction pattern.

To be honest, I do think new approach is needed when designing for UI. The "Photoshop" technique is more than a decade old. We didn't had digital screens so much in our lives back then.

Current workaround in design tools are really useful when you're designing for print etc. Because it's actually a simulation of a graphic designers desk. The "desk" never got any groundbreaking changes or updates until now. Currently we are trying to push a plane instead we can just fly it when designing for digital media. It's pretty clever to have a "simulation" of a digital... umm... thing. :sweat_smile:

If subform uses the similar UI or workflow like PS or sketch, than it would be just another clone -if it aimed to be a clone it didn't even needed a kickstarter for that. Mac's quartz graphic engine is doing pretty good already (which is used by sketch and keynote).

Oh, also there's another awesome tool "Affinity Designer". It uses the same methods and similar tools like PS, Sketch, AI etc. It's actually an adobe killer toolset. In case if you are actually in need of a similar work methods. (and yes, you can work on psd's and save as psd with it)

I do not expect Subform to be a clone. Most of us already have license for sketch, ps etc already, we don't need another clone :wink:

I disagree here, because the new concepts are

• not new at all
    • It is very similar to the concept of XML/HTML/CSS
  • faster to work with
    • the old "lets draw shapes" method (for lack of a better name) does not have inter-element context outside of z-index, and thus requires pushing pixels, which I see as a serious waste of time and an inefficiency that gets in the way of creativity. Subform reminds me of how the DOM works in web dev. And the DOM is all about how elements relate to each other. Subform enables you to design in this manner, visually, with point-and-click and use of simple constraints. I've been able to make things in subform that would have taken much longer with something like Sketch / Photoshop.

What's cool about Subform is with just a little bit of understanding of the CSS Box Model and the use of constraints, which is very similar to how Subform works, anyone can create UI's without pushing pixels around or writing any code.

If they can add responsive layouts to this thing (such as "hide this element on screen sizes smaller than 400px"), and element/text-wrapping without a parent of fixed width, it'll be solid.